Duratec was engaged to complete remediation works to the
rooftop of North Metropolitan TAFE. The rooftop podium had experienced leaks for the majority of its 25 year lifespan.
These leaks had reached a number of building areas in the levels below, including the main foyer and server rooms, causing disruption to TAFE operations. The scope of works included:
- Demolition of pavers, waterproofing membrane, skylight, concrete upstands, raised planters and defunct services.
- Installation of structural steel beams/columns for skylight.
- Installation of a concrete infill slab to skylight area.
- New ceiling finishes and lighting to the skylight area infill.
- Preparation of concrete structures for waterproof membrane.
- Upgrade of drain heads.
- Repairs to the perimeter parapet wall.
- Installation of waterproofing system to the concrete slab, walls at stairs and perimeter edges.
- Installation of electrical and communications conduit.
- Installation of new paving system.
- Installation of new mechanical vent risers and fans.
- Installation of stainless steel wires and additional balustrades to bring the existing handrails and perimeters into compliance.
- Installation of composite timber clad seating.
- Installation of new water and sewer services.
- A self-operating, wireless remote-controlled grinder which eliminates operator fatigue was utilised for the surface preparation. This multi-purpose unit is perfect for when an extremely powerful and tough grinder/polisher is required to re-surface large areas.
- Duratec delivered a remedial solution to improve the service life and serviceability of the building. This was achieved through the rectification of water ingress issues and removal
and replacement of the rooftop waterproofing membrane and various other roof elements. This will prevent further deterioration of the building, preserve the integrity of the structure and eliminate potential public liability issues.