Customs House was built in 1908 to house the main branch of the Customs Department of WA and is situated on a large block bordered on three sides by Phillimore, Packenham and Henry Streets.
Constructed of brick with heavily moulded cornices and architraves, the building was heritage classified in 1974. The building now houses various local government organisations.
Duratec was engaged by Jones Lang LaSalle to remediate an area of the facade located at 7 Pakenham Street.
The scope included:
- Removal of damaged render and loose coating.
- Lead paint removal.
- Steel repairs and replacement.
- Steel preparation and painting.
- Repair of cornice mouldings.
- Rebuilding damaged window lintels to pre-existing profile. Application of mineral paint protective coating system.
- The lead paint removal required fully encapsulated scaffold.
- Management of hazardous materials removal in a full working environment.
- Pedestrian and vehicular traffic management in a busy street.
- Maintaining access to Centrelink and customs services.
- The road was closed while the crane installed large steel replacement beams.
- Facade Refurbishments
- Preservation of Heritage Structures