Duratec was awarded a five year design and construct contract by the Bunbury Port Authority for the remediation of the outer harbour’s berth’s 1 and 2.
The project involved a structural analysis of the deck capacity, technical condition survey of the reinforced concrete wharf piles, a review of the land-back reinforced concrete retaining wall, and a geotechnical review and remediation of the land-back embankment.
The pile survey resulted in the repair of the piles and included hydro-demolition of the outer concrete, repair of the steel reinforcing, the addition of sacrificial anodes and the reinstatement of the cover concrete.
In total 77 piles will be remediated over the five year contract with 14 being completed in the first year.
- Challenges included working in a sensitive marine environment, high tides and storm surges and accommodation of shipping movements.
- A complex scaffolding system was installed to provide access to all work fronts.
- Custom design steel formwork was used to reinstate the cover concrete.
- A highly fluid, shrinkage compensated micro-concrete was pumped by a grout pump through access holes drilled into the wharf’s deck and into the formwork.
- The project will continue until 2019.
- This project won an ACRA Award for Excellence in 2014.
- Cathodic Protection
- Pile Cleaning & Protection
- High Performance Coatings